APPLICATIONS OF SHOCK WAVES
Shock waves are acoustic waves transporting high energy transmitted through the skin surface and radiated into the body, to the painful area.
SWT Shock Med is a radial (ballistic) shock wave, in the sense that the shock wave is generated by a special pistol-shaped probe equipped with a barrel which is plugged at one end by means of a metal cap which is projected using compressed air (up to 5 bar pressure), a steel bullet. Thus a shock wave is generated which is radiated into the skin and into the first tissue layer just below skin. The body reacts by increasing the metabolic activity in the application area, thus making it easier to minimize the inflammation caused by a pain-killing action induced by the local releasing of endorphins, thus stimulating and accelerating the recovery.
Penetration depth may vary from 4 to 7 cm
MAIN SHOCK MED APPLICATIONS
The shock wave method is the chosen treatment for chronic insertional tendinopathies characterised by a poor vascularisation of the osteotendinous junction, where the physiotherapy treatment (infiltrations and laser therapies) has been proven ineffective. These are the main pathologies that are suitable for shock wave application:
Elbow – epicondylitis, epitrocleitis
Shoulder – insertional tendinopathies, impingement
Knee – Patellar and “goose’s foot” tendinopathies
Pubis – Adductor tendinopathies (pubalgy)
Ankle – Achilles tendinopathies, calcaneal apophysis
Rotator cuff calcific tendinitis
30 cases were examined of people suffering from this pathology who have been treated using the following shock wave therapy:
Pression: 3 Bar – Frequency: 10 Hz
Shoks: 2500 – Sessions: 4 (weekly)
Objective: elimination of calcific deposits
Conclusions: The study has shown that for 90% of treated patients the elimination of pain was total, while the remaining 10% experienced a considerable decrease in pain.